Gum disease or periodontitis should never be taken lightly. Left untreated, the condition can put you at risk of losing your permanent teeth. In its early stage, home remedies can treat gum disease fairly easily. The first step to treatment is recognizing the symptoms and getting an accurate diagnosis of your condition. This can be done at the Clint Bruyere DDS office in Longview, Texas.
Gum Disease Symptoms
Gum disease may not cause pain in its early stage, but you may notice the following symptoms:
- Gum swelling and redness
- Bleeding when you brush or floss your teeth
- A foul taste in your mouth or bad breath
As your condition worsens, so will your symptoms. Advanced gum disease can cause:
- Receding gums, leaving pockets between your gums and teeth where harmful bacteria can breed
- Painful chewing
- Loose teeth
- Tooth loss
Home Remedies for Periodontitis
Your Longview, Texas dentist, Dr. Clint Bruyere, can diagnose periodontitis during your dental visit so you can start treatment to reverse its effects. Much of your treatment can be done at home to restore your oral health. Some home remedies for periodontitis include:
- Saltwater rinse – Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water several times daily can provide relief to irritated gum tissues and can help combat the growth of harmful bacteria on your teeth
- Turmeric powder – Turmeric powder has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can help reduce bacteria build-up on your teeth. Mixing the powder with water forms a paste that you can rub on your gums twice daily to promote healing
- Daily brushing and flossing – Good oral hygiene will minimize plaque and bacteria build-up, a leading cause of gum disease
- Anti-bacterial rinse – Rinsing daily with an antibacterial mouthwash can help keep harmful bacteria at a minimum
Experience exceptional dental care in Longview, TX!
Depending on your condition, Dr. Bruyere may recommend gum disease medication in the form of antibiotics or deep cleaning to cleanse your teeth of plaque and tartar under the gumline. This gives your gums a chance to heal.
To schedule a consultation for periodontitis diagnosis and treatment, contact Dr. Clint Bruyere in Longview, TX, at (903) 708-6116.
Share This Article