Discoloration can cause one to feel self-conscious about his or her smile. With cosmetic dental treatments, Dr. Bruyere achieves improvements that can enable patients to feel more confident in their smiles. Lackluster appearance is one of the most common complaints, and our office offers various cosmetic procedures to address how teeth look, such as porcelain veneers or teeth whitening.
Why must we work on the brightness of our teeth at all? How do our teeth go from dazzling white to dull yellow? There are actually various reasons discoloration can occur:
- Genetics and age. Part of what affects our smile is genetics; some people have a predisposition for discoloration. Additionally, as we age, teeth naturally lose their luster. This problem can be corrected with teeth whitening.
- Trauma. Individuals whose teeth have been damaged by some type of direct injury can experience a change in color of injured teeth. Due to the nature of the discoloration, teeth whitening is not an effective solution. Discoloration from trauma is best addressed with porcelain veneers.
- Hygiene is the foundation of a healthy, vibrant smile. When teeth are not brushed and flossed adequately, staining or yellowing is likely to occur. This may be due to plaque buildup, which can be removed with a professional cleaning. The buildup of plaque on teeth can lead to more significant staining which needs to be treated with teeth whitening.
- Tobacco use. Most people know that the use of tobacco products, even smokeless tobacco, poses significant risk to oral health. The chemicals in tobacco products can cause extreme discoloration over time. Tobacco stains can be addressed with teeth whitening or porcelain veneers, with optimal results coming from smoking cessation.
- Foods and beverages. Some of the most common causes of discoloration are those that we consume every day. Sodas, juices, coffee, red wine, acidic foods, and some spices are all capable of leaving tiny colored molecules on teeth, where they seep into tiny pores in enamel. These types of stains respond quite nicely to professional teeth whitening.
- Medications may lead to changes in tooth color, sometimes leading to a grayish appearance. Discussing the use of medications like tetracycline with your dentist can uncover solutions such as specific oral rinses that may minimize the effects of medication. Teeth that have become discolored from medication may be treated with teeth whitening or porcelain veneers.
Dr. Bruyere offers customized smile design through specific cosmetic dental procedures. If you live in the Longview area, we are happy to consult with you about your smile and oral health goals. Contact our office for your one on one consultation.
Share This Article