Longview area dentist discusses dental care for cavity prevention
Beautiful smiles are all around us, on billboards, in television commercials, movies, and in everyday life. It is no wonder we all want that kind of dazzling, show-stopping smile. Having good oral health is the foundation for a stunning smile. Decay or oral disease can adversely affect the appearance of your teeth, and if left untreated, may eventually lead to tooth loss. At Clint Bruyere DDS, we are equipped to help our patients in the Longview area overcome tooth decay with high-quality dental care – natural-looking and long lasting restorations. That being said, the best way to keep your smile beautiful is to prevent cavities in the first place.
So how can you keep your teeth healthy and looking their best? Follow these simple steps to maintain a beautiful smile for a lifetime:
- Take your time while brushing your teeth. We see many patients who rush through the brushing process. It should take at least two or three minutes to adequately clean your teeth and mouth. Pay special attention to all surfaces of the tooth and don’t skip the gum line or tongue!
- Make sure you are using the correct toothpaste and mouth wash for your teeth. If you are unsure, bring what you are using into our office so we can provide advice.
- Consider using an electric toothbrush. This can help patients with limited mobility get teeth cleaner.
- Floss your teeth! At least once each day, and always before going to bed for the night.
- If you are unable to brush right after eating, chew sugar free gum to remove food debris and bacteria from the teeth, and reduce mouth acidity.
- Eat a well-balanced diet that that is full of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. Foods that are good for your overall health are also good for your mouth. Snacking on raw vegetables like carrots or celery can help to remove plaque from your teeth.
- Stay hydrated. Water is good for the body and also rinses teeth.
- Avoid foods that are high in sugar or acidic.
In addition to these at-home tips, it is important to maintain twice yearly visits to the dentist for professional dental care. This allows us to perform a thorough cleaning and bring attention to any potential problems with your teeth or gums. To schedule your appointment, call us today at 903-708-6116.